Monday, June 6, 2011

Two active volcanoes in two days.

(Click the panorama for a bigger view)

A few good things and a few bad things about Mount St Helens. Good things: it was more amazing than I imagined. The weather was GORGEOUS, and I'm so happy Garry and I waited until the weather cleared up for us to go. Bad things: The road leading up to Harmony trail was closed until Early June (and it's early June! Hello!?) because of how high the elevation is, and there was still snow. Therefore, leading us to put this trail to a halt. Oh, and we spent the night in Kelso. We went in a restaurant, and I was the only colored person there. Awkward much?

However, Mount Rainier wasn't too far away. And it was on our way home. After much debating with Garry, we drove there, and stopped at Paradise. And you know, Paradise was COVERED in snow. No, not just a few feet, and believe it was about 15 feet. And since it was sunny Mount St Helens, we were wearing our shorts. And since there was no way for us to change, we went exploring in the snow with bare legs.

The incline was steep. And normally that wouldn't bother me much, but I was trying not to fall or sink in the snow. I had to keep rhythm. Going up I was digging my toes in, and on the way down I was digging my heels in. I wasn't a heel-toe-heel-toe normal walk. And there were cross country skiers, snow shoers, and even one snowboarder going down the path we were taking up. All the more reason for me to practice hiking steeper inclines so Garry and I can go Winter snow shoeing and camping :)


Geological scratches

Mount St Helens and Toutle Canyon

Garry and I on the Boundary Trail #1 with Mount St Helens and Toutle Canyon in the background

Beautiful 80 degree day on Boundary Trail

Turning back

It was SO amazing to walk through a pseudo-desert like trail.

And since Forest Road 99 was closed to Spirit Lake, we went to Iron Creek Falls instead.

Iron creek falls.



Me and the plunging and raging falls

At Mt Rainier, and I conquered!

You try hiking on top of dense snow with just hiking shoes



Toes in first.


Tatoosh Range in Paradise Valley photo by Garry.

No comments:

Post a Comment